Last Updated: June 6, 2014
- When do we collect information from you online?
- What information do we collect from you and how do we use it, including online tracking?
- With whom do we share your information?
- How do we protect your information?
- How can you update your online account information or opt-out from certain features or services?
- What Gerber Life does about children visiting the Web Site?
Special Note to Canadian customers
Because Gerber Life is headquartered in the United States, we may transfer information collected from you on our sites to the United States. By using our websites, you agree to this transfer and to allow us to use and disclose your information in accordance with this policy.
Links to Third Party Sites
Our websites may provide links to, or features from, other third party sites (such as third party social networks) that we do not own or control. If you link to such sites or use such features, you do so at your own risk. We are not responsible for the content or practices of any third party sites.
2. When do we collect information from you online?
We collect information from you on our websites when you do any of the following:
- Apply for insurance
- Sign up for our newsletter
- Enroll in and use Gerber Life eService
- Contact Customer Service via email
- Fill out customer surveys
- Use our tell-a-friend features
- Fill out other purpose-specific forms available on our sites
- Visit or browse our websites (automated collection via cookies and other web technologies)
- Sign up for our Blog
A more detailed description of each of these collection scenarios, and how we use your information in each scenario, is provided in Section 3 below.
3. What information do we collect from you and how do we use it?
The information we collect and how we use it depends on the context and purpose for collection.
Insurance application forms
The information collected on these forms will vary depending on the product but will typically include some or all of the following:
- personal information (e.g., name, address, phone number, email address, Social Security number);
- demographic information (e.g., age, date of birth, gender);
- medical and criminal history (e.g., past medical conditions, alcohol use, convictions);
- previous policy information (e.g., policy numbers, coverage amounts);
- employment information (e.g., occupation, name of employer);
- beneficiary information (e.g., designee name, relationship to insured);
- payment information (e.g., bank account or credit card information); and,
- other information needed for us to assess your eligibility for insurance (e.g., requested coverage amount, residency, etc.).
The information collected may be regarding the proposed insured, applicant for coverage and the policy beneficiary. Any information you provide on our online application form is used to review and process your application. For insurance policies that require underwriting, your application information may be used (together with other information we may obtain about you) to determine your eligibility for insurance. We may also use information from your application (such as your contact information) to keep you informed about the status of your application or to remind you about completing your application.
Newsletter & Blog
When you sign up for our newsletter and/or blog online, we may ask you for the following information:
- personal contact information (e.g., name, address, email address); and,
- communication preferences (e.g., which mailings/content you prefer to receive).
This information is used to send you the communications that you request, which may include our email newsletter, blog and other mailings (including postal mail) that may contain special offers and product news from Gerber Life and our partners. We do not sell, rent, or share any of your personal contact information with unaffiliated third party companies for their own marketing use.
In some instances, we may obtain sign-ups to our newsletter through check boxes that appear on other forms (such as on an application or quote-request form) or on the phone through our Customer Service department. We may also receive sign-ups through third party sources, such as from co-registration forms on other sites.
You can always opt-out from receiving our newsletter, blog or other marketing communications by clicking on the "Unsubscribe" link provided at the bottom of each such email communication or by contacting Customer Service.
Gerber Life eService
To set up a Gerber Life eService account (which allows our policy holders to access and manage their account online), we ask you to provide or validate the following information:
- login information (e.g., user ID, password);
- policy information (e.g., policy number, insured's date of birth); and,
- personal contact information (e.g., name, address, email address).
This information is used to verify that you own a policy (or group of policies) with Gerber Life and to create and maintain an online account that is linked to your policies.
Once set up, your eService account allows you to do many things, including:
- Receive premium-due notifications via email (i.e., Paperless Billing);
- Receive other policy documentation electronically;
- Pay your premiums online (individually or through AutoPay);
- View and make changes to your policy information (e.g., update contact or demographic information, change beneficiaries, etc.);
- View all recent premium payments and policy transactions; and,
- Add or remove policies to your eService account.
Our websites may allow you to contact Customer Service via email with specific questions about your policy or general questions about our different insurance products. The information collected for these purposes may include:
- personal contact information (e.g., name, email address);
- policy or application information, if applicable (e.g., policy number, application number); and
- details about your question or inquiry.
This information is used to respond to your question or request in a timely fashion, and may be retained to keep a record of your correspondence.
From time to time, we may obtain feedback from you about your experience in using our products and services. Examples may include your responses to online customer surveys as well as other comments and suggestions you may provide to us about your experience. We use this information to continually improve our products and services.
Other purpose-specific forms
From time to time, we may offer other website forms, features, or services that allow users to submit information to us, including personal information. The purposes of these forms, and how the collected information will be used in each case, will always be stated clearly at the point of collection. The types and amount of information collected will vary depending on intended uses of the data.
Automated collection via cookies and web technologies; online tracking
The collection and use of this information allows us to:
- Enhance the operation and functionality of our sites;
- Troubleshoot technical problems, including security issues;
- Tailor the online content or messages that you see to better match your interests;
- Save you time when you use our sites (e.g., remembering your User ID for easy login);
- Understand how people generally use our site and which features are most popular; and,
- Analyze our website traffic and, in turn, optimize the layout of our sites.
Please note that our systems currently don't respond to "Do Not Track" headers or signals from web browsers.
4. With whom do we share your information?
The sharing practices described below only apply to information we collect from you on our websites and specifically for website-related purposes (e.g., e-newsletter sign-up, eService account setup and maintenance, online customer surveys, etc.).
Gerber Life may provide aggregate statistics about our customers, sales, online traffic patterns and related information to reputable third parties, but these statistics will not identify any individual or include any personally identifying information.
We may share your website-related information (including personal contact information about you) as set forth below.
- With agents and contractors who help us run our sites or perform other services on our behalf (e.g., e-newsletter delivery, mailing list management, etc.). These companies are only allowed to access and use your information for the specific task they've been hired to do and are required to keep your information confidential and secure.
- For legal-related purposes (if necessary), including disclosures in connection with a lawsuit or legal investigation, court order, governmental inquiry, enforcement of legal rights (e.g., contract terms, intellectual property rights, etc.), fraud investigation, safety issue, or other similar matter.
5. How do we protect your information?
We use a variety of methods to keep the information you give us online confidential and secure. These measures include (among other things) the use of industry-standard encryption to protect sensitive information and activities (e.g., submission of online application form, registration and login for eService account, etc.), storage of your information on firewall-protected servers, and limiting access to your information to only those Gerber Life employees and agents/contractors who need it to do their job and have been trained in the proper handling of customer information.
Please note, however, that these protections do not apply to information you choose to share in public areas such as our website community features or other social areas.
The safety and security of your information also depend on you. Never share your password with anyone else and notify us promptly if you believe your password security has been breached.
6. How can you update your online account information or opt-out from certain features or services?
If you created an eService account with us, you can always access and update your account profile (including the name, contact information, and password associated with your account) by logging in to your account and clicking on "Profile." Within your account, you also have the ability to turn on/off electronic billing notifications or other account-related email alerts.
If you signed up to receive our newsletter, blog or other marketing communications, you can always opt-out from receiving these communications by clicking on the unsubscribe link provided at the bottom of each such email communication or by contacting Customer Service.
To opt-out from being tracked by third party ad networks (for targeted advertising purposes), please go to http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp.
Please see your browser instructions for how to block or erase cookies.
8. What Gerber Life does about children visiting our websites?
The websites are not intended for children under the age of 18. We will not knowingly collect information from our site visitors in this age group. We encourage parents to talk to their children about their use of the Internet and the information they disclose online.
9. How can I contact Gerber Life about this policy?
Gerber Life Insurance Company
445 State Street
Fremont, MI 49413